Sève Favre is a contemporary Swiss artist and an art historian. After spending several years teaching her passion for art to teenagers, she has devoted herself entirely to her own artistic creations.
For several years now, Sève Favre has focused the main part of her artistic work on abolishing the classic frontier between a work of art and a spectator. She explores fields covering both abstraction and coloured sensations, figurative themes or the musicality of words to increase the sensorial experiences and reflections generated by art.
Among the artist’s favourite mediums, paper holds an important place since it is flexible and part of a vast tradition. Her choice of techniques, on the other hand, is varied but with a clear preference for mixed procedures.
The majority of her paintings stem from this search. Indeed, those viewing a work of art are traditionally kept at a distance in order to limit the risks of deterioration which could have consequences for the conservation or value of the work. In a museum or at an exhibition, visitors are not allowed to get very close to a work or to reach forward to touch it, even with the finger tips… Sève Favre proposes a completely different approach: the artist hopes that the spectator overcomes the ancient taboo and touches, moves, discovers ... despite the fragility of the paper.
This determination of the artist is in contrast with the general trend of our society, which stubbornly wishes to constantly push back the limits of time and which therefore develops conservation techniques that are ever more high performance and sophisticated. With Sève Favre, the enjoyment of a work of art is intimate, tactile and, consequently, flirts with what is ephemeral. In this way the spectator is confronted with a new appreciation of time and the fleeting nature of what is around us.
This active, almost physical, participation of the spectator becoming actor helps erase the limits between the painting, sculpture, installation and performance and, even more importantly, between the artist and the spectator.
Indeed, we are all passively undergoing a modern world where the place of images is growing exponentially, and often insanely. But Sève Favre asks us to act and think, helping us to find a balance through reflecting on the image. Do we wish to hide or shut ourselves off? To show or open up? The work that emerges from this encounter between the artist and the spectator takes many forms, the result of the proposal of one and the action of the other. It becomes personal, constantly changing and reversible.
Sève Favre invites us to create from her work, which is perfectly in line with the current trend for personalisation.
- 22 September to 27 October 2017, Intervariactiv Installation, L’étagère, Lausanne.
- 13 to 16 December 2017, Intervariactiv Pop Up, The Square, rue du Diorama 2, Geneva.
- 22 March to 17 May 2017, Transmutations , Galerie Rivoli, rue de l’Arquebuse, Genève.
- 28 June to 30 August 2018, Intervariactiv Exhibition, Galerie Pirlot, Zürich.
Collective exhibitions and Artfairs
- 27 - 28 May 2016, Flon Art, Collective Exhibition of Ceruleum, Lausanne.
- 6 to 9 October 2017, Art Next 2017, Artfair, PMQ, Central, HongKong.
- 25 January 2018, Collective Exhibition, Genuine Night, Espace Fert, Genève.
- 1 March 2018, Collective Exhibition, Inauguration Season 2018, Panier Culturel Lausannois, La Datcha, Lausanne.
- 12 to 15 April 2018, Roy’s People Art Fair, Oxo Tower Wharf, London.
- 21- 23 September 2018, FATart, International Art Fair, Women in Art, Kammgarn West, Schaffhausen.
- 4 to 7 October 2018, Accessible Art Fair, Bozar, Bruxelles.
- 16 to 30 Novembre 2018, La Spontanéité, Lozart Collective Exhibition, Flon, Lausanne.
Collaborations and mandates
- 2012- 2017, Corporate Mandates for several specific artworks.
- 2016 and 2017, Fondation Room to Read, Zurich Chapter.
- December 2016 and 2017, Mandates for Illustrations, 1DexMag Number 1 and 2.
- Participation to the « Panier Culturel Lausannois » Winter Season 2017-2018.
- February 2018 to August 2018, Comissioned work for a Corporate Image Movie, under the realisation of « Cheese and Chocolate Film SA », Zürich.
#INTERVARIACTIFPROJECT, #INTERAGISPROJECT and #INTERVARIACTIFSERIALS
Participatory projects on social medias